Sunday, May 15, 2011

Eat Local Ozarks project

Howdy y'all! This blog is going to form the foundation of a local food website I am creating. I originally planned to have it center around a directory of local farms, but I recently found out that at least one other person is working on the same idea so, after a few dark days of despair, I have regrouped.

The blog and the site are going to be profiles, in narratives, pictures and video, of the farms that are doing the best, most sustainable, most healthful, most innovative, most community-oriented work out there - basically a "cream of the crop" project instead of an "everything local except the locally grown kitchen sink" project. I will focus on certified organic, certified naturally grown, integrated pest management (IPM), pastured livestock and permaculture, as well as conventional farms that are doing extraordinary work in bringing local foods to the people and building a local foods economy. I will also profile non-commercial farms, homesteaders, wild foods experts, community gardeners, herbalist wildcrafters and herb growers. The parallel story will be the continuing evolution of our own homestead.

I am inspired by The Perennial Plate and by all the amazing farmers in our region. Look for upcoming profiles of Little Portion Monastery Farm, Foundation Farm, Oak Hill Farm, and lots of other special treats I have in the works!

Daniel Klein of The Perennial Plate at Ozark Natural Foods
Foundation Farm's permanent no-till beds
Andrew Schwerin of Oak Hill Farm
Little Portion ducklings


No comments:

Post a Comment